Covestro debut life-enhancing healthcare solutions at MD&M West 2022
Formulating life-enhancing solutions for Healthcare through material solutions
Material advancements are creating new, exciting opportunities for healthcare OEMs, engineers and designers. Recognized as a trusted materials supplier, Covestro offers a variety of products designed for high-performance medical devices.
At MD&M West Conference and Exposition, April 12-14, 2022 in Anaheim, California, Covestro will showcase its materials for healthcare applications in booth #2221, including Makrolon® RE for Healthcare. Makrolon® RE polycarbonate grades have a low carbon footprint thanks to the use of renewable electricity for their manufacture, as well as raw materials produced from mass-balanced bio-waste and residues.
This new offering further expands the company’s portfolio of proven materials for diverse healthcare uses:
- Polycarbonate resins and blends: Covestro’s broad portfolio including Makrolon® and Makroblend® deliver strength and durability for drug delivery devices, dental applications, advanced injection devices, medical device housings, and more – to withstand everyday use and chemical interaction.
- Polyurethane raw materials and adhesives: Baymedix® polyurethane adhesive and foam components provide excellent breathability and low trauma removal to wound care products, in addition to excellent absorption. In wearables applications, skin-friendly adhesive systems and thermoformable foams for electronic embedding are also available.
- Thermoplastic Polyurethane (TPU) films and resins: Platilon® TPU films offer breathable applications for wound dressing and prevention, as well as wearable patches. Texin® Rx TPU resins provide flexibility and strength for applications such as medical tubing and dental applications, all while remaining resistant to cleaning agents and bacteria.
Several applications of these materials will be on display, including:
- Makrolon® RE for Healthcare: Covestro showcases the expansion of its product portfolio into the medical and healthcare space with Makrolon® RE – a drop-in, low carbon footprint, medical-grade polycarbonate solution.
- Drug Delivery demonstrator: Materials from Covestro’s line of medical-grade polycarbonates come together to form an innovative and sustainable drug delivery device.
- PharmaJet: Covestro and PharmaJet team up to advance needle-free injection. Makrolon® from Covestro stands up to gamma and ethylene oxide sterilization in a device that eliminates needle-stick injuries, and can be used for COVID-19 vaccinations.
- SmartGuard®: Covestro and SmartGuard work together to provide restful sleep for those who involuntarily grind their teeth. Makrolon® 2858 from Covestro provides the strength, softness and biocompatibility needed for this application.
- Medical Device Housings and Hardware: Durable Makrolon® and Makroblend® materials feature improved disinfectant resistance and next-generation flame retardancy with skin contact biocompatibility.
Attendees can visit the Covestro booth (#2221) to learn more about the company’s impressive combination of material solutions and technical expertise for the healthcare market.
Covestro is one of the world’s leading manufacturers of high-quality polymer materials and their components. With its innovative products, processes and methods, the company helps enhance sustainability and the quality of life in many areas. Covestro supplies customers around the world in key industries such as mobility, building and living, as well as the electrical and electronics sector. In addition, polymers from Covestro are also used in sectors such as sports and leisure, cosmetics and health, as well as in the chemical industry itself.
The company is committed to becoming fully circular and is striving to become climate neutral by 2035 (scope 1 and 2). Covestro generated sales of EUR 15.9 billion in fiscal 2021. At the end of 2021, the company had 50 production sites worldwide and employed approximately 17,900 people (calculated as full-time equivalents).
This news release may contain forward-looking statements based on current assumptions and forecasts made by Covestro AG. Various known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors could lead to material differences between the actual future results, financial situation, development or performance of the company and the estimates given here. These factors include those discussed in Covestro’s public reports which are available at www.covestro.com. The company assumes no liability whatsoever to update these forward-looking statements or to conform them to future events or developments.