Unveils latest THINC30 2020 Takeaway Report on rebuilding post-pandemicPittsburgh, May 20, 2021 — Circular Economy will take center stage at Covestro’s upcoming virtual THINC 30 Tank: Creating Circular Economy Communities from 9:00 a.m. to 12 Noon on Tuesday, June 8, 2021.
The THINC30 Tank will bring together international, national and regional experts – the thinkers and doers – who are leading the way on circularity. Lauren Phipps, Director and Senior Analyst, Circular Economy at GreenBiz; Andrew McCue, Cities and Industries Consultant at Metabolic; and, Karen Pearson, Chair of Science and Mathematics and the Sustainability Council at the Fashion Institute of Technology in New York City are among the speakers who will participate in a series of talks, panels and one-on-one conversations over the morning session.
Together, they will examine how circularity or circular economics can help cities, communities, businesses and organizations achieve their sustainability goals, while also confronting pressing global challenges like urbanization, pollution, population growth and dwindling natural resources.
To register, visit www.covestro.us/thinc30-summit.
Circular economics replaces a traditional linear economic model. It transforms “Take, Make and Waste” into “Reuse, Recycle and Repair” by minimizing the disposal of waste and the need for raw materials by keeping existing materials and assets in the production cycle. In doing so, it alleviates the burden on natural resources and ultimately reduces or, in some cases, even eliminates the need for fossil fuels, while still driving economic growth.
“Achieving our collective sustainability goals requires big thinking – and action. Covestro is committed to leading on Circular Economy both in our processes and products, through our use of biomass, renewable energy and carbon, and as a thought leader with public forums like THINC30 that present the latest thinking and strategies from experts who driving circularity in a very holistic, intentional way,” said Rebecca Lucore, Corporate Social Responsibility and Sustainability, Covestro LLC.
Topics to be explored include:
- What CE priority areas have the greatest impacts on climate change?
- How are colleges and universities around the country embedding CE into their teaching and research programs?
- Which industries – from plastics to fashion – hold the most promise for transforming from linear to circular and which companies are already doing it?
- How cities have begun their circularity journeys and how Pittsburgh itself aims to become a CE hub that is resilient and inclusive?
In addition to Phipps, McCue and Pearson, other featured speakers will include:
- Melissa Bilec, Deputy Director, Mascaro Center for Sustainable Innovation, University of Pittsburgh
- Dr. Rajesh Buch, Director, Sustainability Practice, International Development, Arizona State University
- Lynette Chung, Chief Sustainability Officer, Covestro
- Noah Deich, President, Carbon180
- Grant Ervin, Chief Resilience Officer, City of Pittsburgh
- Mike Gable, Executive Director, Construction Junction
- Richard Skorpenske, Head of Advocacy & Sustainability, Covestro LLC
- Stacy Smedley, Director of Sustainability, Skanska USA and Executive Director, Building Transparency
- Dr. Joel Tickner, Professor, Zuckerburg College of Health Sciences, University of Massachusetts, Lowell
- Miranda Wang, founder and CEO, Novoloop
For more information about how Covestro is working to fulfill its vision to become fully circular, visit: https://www.covestro.com/en/sustainability/what-drives-us/circular-economy.
THINC30 2020 The Takeaway – Social, Environmental and Economic
Covestro also announced the release of the company’s new report featuring highlights from its last THINC30 summit, a three-day virtual event held in the fall of 2020.
With a focus on rebuilding post-pandemic, THINC30 2020 The Takeaway crystalizes the key ideas and solutions articulated by the more than 45 speakers for achieving social, environmental and economic equity for all in the Pittsburgh region and across the country.
To download a copy of The Takeaway or register for THINC30 Tank: Creating Circular Economy Communities, visit: www.covestro.us/thinc30-summit.
About Covestro LLC:
Covestro LLC is one of the leading producers of high-performance polymers in North America and is part of the global Covestro business, which is among the world’s largest polymer companies with 2020 sales of EUR 10.7 billion. Business activities are focused on the manufacture of high-tech polymer materials and the development of innovative solutions for products used in many areas of daily life. The main segments served are the automotive, construction, wood processing and furniture, electrical and electronics, and healthcare industries. Other sectors include sports and leisure, cosmetics and the chemical industry itself. Covestro has 33 production sites worldwide and employed approximately 16,500 people at the end of 2020.
Find more information at www.covestro.us or https://www.covestro.us/en/csr-and-sustainability/overview.
Russell Glorioso, Phone: +1 412-525-9330
# # #
This news release may contain forward-looking statements based on current assumptions and forecasts made by Covestro AG. Various known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors could lead to material differences between the actual future results, financial situation, development or performance of the company and the estimates given here. These factors include those discussed in Covestro’s public reports which are available at www.covestro.com. The company assumes no liability whatsoever to update these forward-looking statements or to conform them to future events or developments.
Editor’s Note: Follow news from Covestro on Twitter: