On the road to global electrification of transport, it is clear that batteries play a central role. But it is packaging that allows batteries to deliver their value: safe, cost-efficient, versatile and dependable energy to power electric vehicles. At Covestro, we understand that although packaging is needed your goal is minimize whatever does not add to energy density. This is why we develop polycarbonate-based materials, with proven toughness and versatility, to meet the most demanding battery packaging requirements as efficiently as possible.
Makroblend® UT5207 / Makroblend® UT403
Electric Motorcycle Battery (Alta Pack)
- Energy-dense battery pack which stores 5.8 kWh into 31.5 kg of total weight (185 kWh/kg)
- Waterproof and durable enough to handle shocks and vibration up to 20 g
- Covers injection molded from Makroblend®: Impact-resistant and chemically resistant (PC + PBT) and (PC + PET)-blends offering high durability and the ability to be bonded to a metal substrate
- OEM: Alta Motors, California, USA
Thermoplastic Crash Absorber
- Business UnitPCS - Makroblend® KU2-7912/4 (PC+PBT)-blend with good toughness even at low temperatures to achieve a high energy absorption in this honeycomb structure
- Thermoplastic cash absorber for the protection of the battery pack and the composite passenger compartment against side impact in a battery electric car.
- Comprehensive protection of the battery pack in the BMW i3
- Optimization of both the design of the honeycomb structure and the material
- Impact-modified Makroblend® KU2-7912/4 (PC+PBT)-blend offers a consistent behavior over a wide temperature range and good toughness even at low temperatures to achieve a high energy absorption
- Bundling of the know-how of all project partners yields a high-performance product
- OEM: BMW Group, Munich, Germany